Hear the words of Our Blessed Mother, Our Lady of Guadalupe



Know for certain, smallest of my children, that I am the perfect and perpetual Virgin Mary, Mother of the True God through whom everything lives, the Lord of all things near and far, the Master of heaven and earth. I am your merciful Mother, the merciful Mother of all of you who live united in this land, and of all humanity, of all those who love me. Hear and let it penetrate your heart, my dear little one. Let nothing discourage you, nothing depress you. Let nothing alter your heart, or your face. Am I not here who am your mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection? Am I not your fountain of life? Are you not in the folds of my mantle? In the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else that you need? Do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety or pain.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Theotokos: In God's Eternal Plan

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed: he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.

Gen 3:15

This passage in Genesis is called the Protoevangelium ("first gospel"): the first announcement of the Messiah and Redeemer, of a battle between the serpent and the Woman, and of the final victory of a descendant of hers.  After his fall, man was not abandoned by God. On the contrary, God calls him and in a mysterious way heralds the coming victory over evil and his restoration from his fall.

The promise of the Messiah, like all of God’s decrees, is eternal.  God is eternal – standing outside of time and space as we know it – all of reality is present to Him at one and the same present moment.  In God there is no past, no future, but only the eternal present.

The promise of the Messiah was a decree for the Incarnation.  But that decree also required a choice of a mother for the Incarnation.  The mother for the Incarnation was Mary.  So Mary’s union with God is eternal as well.

The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his ways, before his works from of old. I was set up from eternity and of old before the earth was made. When there were no depths, I was brought forth, when there were no fountains abounding in water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth. When as yet he had not made the earth... When he prepared the heavens I was there; when he marked out the vault over the face of the deep; when he established the skies above; when he made firm the foundations of the earth; when he fixed a limit for the sea so that the waters should not pass his commandment. Then I was beside him as his craftsman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him... and my delights were the sons of men.

Proverbs 8:22-31

This text from the Old Testament is often attached to the person of Christ.  The personification of Wisdom is a common metaphor in Old Testament literature.  The early Church quickly saw this as a reference to Christ.  This is reflected in the New Testament.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was in the beginning with God;
all things were made through Him and without Him was not anything made that was made.
John 1:1-3

In Him all things were created.
Col 1:15-16

1 Cor 1:24

The Incarnation was decreed from all eternity.  In her role as mother of Christ, the Word Incarnate, Mary enjoyed an eternal inseparable union with Her Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment